SOMERS BASKETBALL WINTER 2023-2024
IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
1ST AND 2ND GRADE INSTRUCTIONAL
All sessions begin on Saturday, December 2nd and are located at Somers Elementary.
- 1st Grade Boys will begin at 8 am and end at 9 am.
- 2nd Grade Boys will begin at 9:15 am and end at 10:15.
- 1st and 2nd Grade Girls will begin at 10:30 am and end at 11:30.
3RD AND 4TH GRADE REC
- Boys Evaluations: Monday November 27th and Wednesday the 29th 6-7 pm. Location: Somers Elementary
- Girls Evaluations: Tuesday November 28th and Thursday the 30th 6-7 pm. Location: Somers Elementary
*Coaches required to attend both sessions.
**Due to a record number of 3/4 Grade Boys, 2nd graders are unable to participate unless otherwise notified by the Somers Basketball Association.
5TH AND 6TH GRADE REC
- Boys Evaluations: Tuesday November 28th 7-8 pm. Location: Somers Elementary
- Boys and Girls: Tuesday November 28th at 7:30 pm. Location: Mabelle B. Avery.
The Somers Basketball Association (SBA) has opened registration for the Winter ’23-’24 basketball season. As in past years, we will offer a Travel program and a Recreation program.
Registration this year is being done via TeamSnap. Please see links below to each program:
- Travel Basketball Registration – https://registration.teamsnap.com/form/1604
- Rec & 1st/2nd Grade Registration – https://registration.teamsnap.com/form/1620
Travel basketball is offered for boys and girls in grades 5-8. Travel basketball is a highly competitive program that begins practice in November with games running from December to late February/early March. Teams generally practice 2-3 times per week, with multiple games per weekend. Travel is a significant commitment of time for both the player and the parents – the expectation being that every effort is made to attend all practices, games, and playoff games through the end of the season.
Tryouts will be held for all players registered for Travel basketball. The number of teams will be determined by registration with cuts being possible. If your child is not selected for a Travel team, he or she will be placed on a Recreation team (SBA will refund the registration cost difference).
Tryout Dates and Times*
5th/6th Grade – 10/17, 10/19, 10/20 – 6:15pm-7:15pm
7th/8th Grade – 10/17, 10/19, 10/20 – 7:30pm-8:30pm
5th/6th Grade – 10/23, 10/24, 10/26 – 6:15pm-7:15pm
7th/8th Grade – 10/23, 10/24, 10/26 – 7:30pm – 8:30pm
*Players are required to attend at least two of the try-out sessions to be considered for the team
*There will be a kick-off meeting for players, parents and coaches on 11/1.
Travel players will be required to purchase their own uniforms this year.
Once teams are finalized, that information will be sent to parents for prompt ordering.
RECREATIONAL BASKETBALL (3RD-8TH)
Recreational basketball is offered for boys and girls in grades 3-8. It is a competitive program that begins practice in December with games running from January to late February/early March. Teams generally practice once a week with games on the weekend. There are NO tryouts for Rec. basketball – but some age groups will have clinic-type evaluations to help create equal teams.
Evaluations for Boys & Girls in grades 3 & 4 will be held two nights the week of November 27th.
Sessions will be one hour long, with boys and girls held separately.
Evaluations for all other Rec age groups will be held on an as needed basis the week of November 27th as well.
5-8 Recreational players will have a jersey provided to them.
Volunteer Positions Needed for Season (other than coaches)
- 3rd/4th Recreation Coordinator (Schedule evaluations, communicate with coaches)
- 5th-8th Recreation Coordinator (Schedule games with current league, communicate with coaches)
RECREATIONAL BASKETBALL (1ST-2ND)
1st-2nd Grade basketball is offered for boys and girls. The program focuses on the basic and beginning skills of the game in a teaching environment that stresses fun while learning. It runs on Saturday mornings and will begin in December running to late February. The sessions are an hour long with boys and girls sessions held separately.
1st-2nd Recreational players will have a shirt provided to them.
Volunteer Positions Needed (other than coaches)
- 1st-2nd Recreation Coordinator (Creating practice stations, communicating with other volunteers).